Updated: May 22, 2021
March is Poison Prevention Month for Pets.
In order to keep the dogs that I am photographing safe, I have to know all the safety precautions. It is very important for ANY dog guardian to know what is poisonous to our pets too.
Here are some common plants that are poisonous to dogs:
Commonly found in the spring, these flowers can cause intestinal spasms, low blood pressure, salivation, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, and even cardiac arrhythmia.
Who doesn’t love tulips? Hopefully Fido because they’re another poisonous plant for dogs. The usual gastrointestinal problems are accompanied by central nervous system depression and even convulsions and death.
All parts of this flower, fresh or dried, are poisonous and should be avoided by all pets.
These flowers are very common in Arizona.
We rub it on our skin and some of us even drink the juice, but aloe is something your dog needs to avoid. Saponins in this succulent can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, and general central nervous system depression.
Another poisonous plant for dogs, this flowering bulb is a very common garden ornamental. Pay particular attention if you grow the bulbs indoors.
With summer comes tomato plants in the garden. Make sure to keep dogs clear though, as they can cause weakness, gastrointestinal problems, drowsiness, dilated pupils, slow heart rate, and confusion.
Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation and drooling, and abdominal pain are caused by ingesting ivy.
Foxtail plants can be risky for your dog. The barbed seed heads of the foxtail plant can work their way into any part of your dog, from the nose to between the toes and inside the ears, eyes, and mouth. They can even simply dig themselves directly into a patch of skin.
Being in various locations for photo sessions, I have to be aware of these dangerous plants (and the foxtails, which are technically a weed). But, I think it's great for ANY dog guardian to be aware of these when taking him or her for a walk, a hike, to the park, or even your own backyard!
If EVER your pet digests any of these or you're worried they might have, please call your veterinarian, asap.